Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Secret (and Guilt-Ridden) Life of Bills

I'd like to write a bill paying system for Mac OS X in Objective-C. I'm looking at the system from an "Object Thinking" (by David West) perspective.

So if beer can want to hop on a truck to be taken to a customer, a bill (the kind you pay) can want to be paid, right?

In fact, as I see it, a bill knows that it is a debt to society (or at least to me). It feels terrible about its mere existence. All it wants is to secure funds so that it can pay itself, record the fact that it paid its debt, and then shuffle off the mortal coil.

I almost start feeling bad for the little bill.

I don't think I'd use the words guilt or despondent anywhere in the code, but it's a fun way of looking at the bill.

Before reading "Object Thinking" the sad little bill would have been an inanimate, vegetable of a bill, with no motivation or smarts (or guilt).

No comments: